With nearly 60,000 recruits placed since 2000, NCSA knows exactly what it takes. Here are answers to the top five questions our scouting experts receive on the golf recruiting process—the five things every golfer must know.
When does the recruiting process start?
1. As soon as possible. Coaches begin to identify talented athletes early in their high school careers—sometimes before. This means that the advantage goes to student athletes who are active, informed and on schedule. For example, it’s not enough to be competing in national tournaments. You have to make sure college coaches know you’re competing in national tournaments.
How do I get discovered?
2. College coaches scout based on verified information from neutral, independent sources like NCSA. Play your game well and you’ll be discovered—right? Wrong. College coaches identify golfers using online tools and databases well before they attend high school golf tournaments Occasionally another golfer will catch their eye, but they are primarily there for the prospects they have already identified.
How do coaches evaluate prospects?
3. The Internet is your best recruiting tool. College coaches don’t have time to attend every high school golf tournament. The majority of them identify top prospects by watching video highlights that they request or receive from a trusted third party. This is what will convince a coach to come out and watch you play in person.
Where am I qualified to play?
4. Less than 1% of student athletes get a full ride to a D-1 school. The majority of golf scholarships are offered by schools that do not compete in the top division of the NCAA.
What is my coach’s role?
5. Don’t leave your future solely in the hands of your high school coach. Getting recruited is a full-time job, and your coach has a whole team of players who will ask for their help. One coach does not have the time, resources, or relationships to get a scholarship for each of his or her players.
Know your stuff?
You’ve got the top five things to know under your belt.
Build your free profile
Get evaluated by a scout
Get matched with coaches