Recruits for men’s college water polo need to know that scholarships are extremely limited and can be hard to earn. But NCSA can help you make sure that you’re doing every little thing that you can to stand out in the men’s water polo scouting process.
1. Develop your game plan and get evaluated by a third party. College men’s water polo scouts don’t always have the budgets to travel and see a lot of men’s recruits in person, so they rely on evaluations from a trusted source like NCSA. Because NCSA is a neutral third party, we provide honest answers about your skill level, which helps you set realistic goals about where you want to play men’s water polo.
2. Post your academic/athletic resume online. NCSA has the largest digital platform available to high school athletes. When a men’s water polo recruit posts a highlight video and resume online, it becomes instantly visible to hundreds of college men’s water polo scouts.
3. Create a winning highlight/skills video.
Men’s water polo scouts may not be able to see water polo recruits in person, and that’s why a highlight/skills video is essential. A good video includes game footage that illustrates that you’re a well-rounded player. Prove that you can anticipate plays, make plays, play defense, and score.
- Utility Players: Use plays that highlight shooting range, scoring, playmaking, ability, and your knack for finding open players.
- Hole Sets: Show scoring ability and shooting range. Also, feature ball handling skills and your ability to draw ejections and finish at the net.
- Hole Defenders: Prove that you can defend and steal. Highlight your quickness and show that you can front offensive players.
- Goalies: Show that you can cover the entire goal. Prove that you can successfully defend breakaways.
NCSA head water polo recruiting coach Joyce Wellhoefer discusses what to include in your water polo highlight video.
4. Contact as many men’s water polo programs as you can. Fewer than 50 colleges offer men’s water polo. Be proactive and reach out to several that you’re interested in by simply sending an email. Using NCSA’s digital space makes men’s water polo scouting easier and lets you get your information to dozens of prospective colleges.
5. It’s not a four-year decision. It’s a 40-year decision. Selecting a college is one of the most important decisions you’re ever going to make. Do your research and make an educated decision, not only as a men’s water polo recruit, but also as a student athlete. Input from a neutral third party like NCSA can help you find a school that’s an ideal fit.
Know your stuff?
You’ve got the top five things to do under your belt.
Build your free profile
Get evaluated by a scout
Get matched with coaches